- Who we are
- Contact Us
St Comgall’s Parish Church is an historic building constructed in 1889. It takes its name from the founder of Bangor Abbey which is situated just a few hundred metres away and originally built around 555AD. Following its destruction by a fire 25years ago the building has undergone a phased restoration programme funded by the local parish and community.
The Architect’s creative vision for the centre aisle was to take visitors on a journey across Europe, highlighting the areas visited by St Comgall while highlighting his origins in Bangor, Co Down.
Working to the Architects designs Armatile’s in-house design team drew up detailed fabrication drawings for the client’s approval and itemised each individual piece required to be ordered from the manufacturer for the project. Within each section of the aisle there are 54 individual waterjet cut pieces that are fitted together to create an ornate Celtic weave linking one part of St Comgall’s Mission from Bangor, through Europe where he established monasteries in countries such as France, Switzerland and Italy.
This project is a great example of how Armatile works in partnership with all project stakeholders, including the architect, builder and users to deliver a tailored surface solution that not only met but exceeded the clients brief for this Heritage Restoration Project.
Talk to Us